There is more to looking after your body than just eating healthy and regularly exercising. Although those are the two dominating factors, there are other things that can affect your mood, energy levels, weight, fat storage, muscle tone, and motivation. I recommend to everyone to focus on what you see in the mirror instead of the weight on the scales. The key to sustaining your optimum body, is balance. You can still have treats, you can still have lazy days, but you need self-control so you don’t spiral downhill again. Here are a few alternative ways you can lose weight or maintain your optimum body image!
Stress Can Cause You To Store Fat
When we are stressed, our body releases adrenaline and cortisol to prepare us for the ‘fight or flight mode’. Once the adrenaline wears off, the cortisol tells our body to replenish our food supply. In earlier centuries, our ancestors would have to fight off wild animals and did things that required a lot of energy, so they needed a supply of fat and glucose in their bodies. In today’s world, when we get stressed by things like work or money while we are sitting on the couch or at our desk, we aren’t actually burning off our energy after eating, causing us to gain weight.
You can manage your stress by:
• Maintaining healthy relationships with friends and family – if someone gets ‘too much’ to handle and it is affecting you, take a break from that person.
• Ensure you get enough ‘me’ time. You can take time for yourself by taking a bath, lighting a candle, relaxing with a book, getting a massage, or work on something for your own personal benefit such as a new hobby or side hustle.
• Use a calendar or to-do list to stay organised, know when bills are due, keep track of people’s birthdays coming up etc.
• “You are busy with what you say yes to”, so if it is getting too much and you can’t take time out for yourself, drop something.
• Self-awareness of stress and eliminating factors out of your life that could be causing it, or trying to solve the problem.
• Consuming vitamins to help you feel calm and reduce stress such as B-Complex.
• Adding certain foods into your diet such as –
Asparagus which contains folate to help you stay calm.
Avocados contain beta-carotene, vitamin E, folate and plenty of B Vitamins which help to stress-proof your body.
Berries contain antioxidants and vitamin C, resulting in lower blood pressure and lower cortisol levels.
Cashews are a good source of zinc, giving you less chance of having anxiety or depression.
Dark chocolate is known to lower blood pressure, helping you to feel calm as well as containing antioxidants.
Green Tea contains theanine which is an amino acid, it can also enhance mental performance.
Oatmeal is a complex carbohydrate which produces a feel-good chemical called serotonin
These are just some foods that could help you to combat stress.
Utilize Time Management To Increase Productivity Throughout The Day
If your excuse is that you don’t have time to cook healthy meals, or exercise several times a week due to time constraints, see if you can juggle a few things around to create more gaps in your day.
• Go to the grocery store with a shopping list, meaning you won’t have to drive back for things you have forgotten during the week. Also, do your errands all at once while you are in town.
• Cook meals in bulk and freeze them, or utilize a slow cooker for dinner.
• Stop watching TV. Reality shows provide nothing valuable and can take up hours of your time. I haven’t had TV since I was 17 and don’t miss it at all. I am also a lot more productive throughout my day and feel I can achieve a lot more with my life. Related Post – What You Can Gain From Quitting TV
• Work off a to-do list. I love Any.do, and have also heard Todoist is good.
• Use a calendar for scheduled events/activities so you can prepare things ahead of time.
• Start saying “no” to things that don’t hold true value to you, so you can free up some time for yourself and what you want to achieve.
Make Healthier Alcohol Choices
The ‘go-to’ drink for people trying to lose weight is vodka with soda water. If this isn’t to your taste, you could also go for a martini (vodka or gin with vermouth), red wine, light beer, whiskey or scotch on the rocks. If you want to stick to the type of alcohol you enjoy, whether it’s a normal beer, RTD, glass of wine, or a cocktail, just don’t over indulge. You can sit down and have a beer at the end of a hot day, but stick to one or two to truly enjoy it, or have a glass of wine to relax. If you are going out drinking with your friends, choose something light if you are going to be having several drinks.
Clean The House
This is an odd thing to say to help you to lose weight. But when you clean the house, do you feel more energized sitting in a clean tidy space? Do you come home from work with a clear head when you come home to a clean house? It can help you to feel less stressed and more energized, which can motivate you to exercise.
According to this study reported by The American Association of Nurse Anaesthetists, people with messy or cluttered homes are 77 percent more likely to be overweight or obese.
When you sit in a cluttered home it can make you feel exhausted mentally because of the size of the task that needs doing. When you clear your living area, it can clear your head-space, making you more likely to make healthier decisions and feel motivated.
Look After Your Mental Health
Health isn’t just about the physical side. When you feel good on the inside, it affects everything you do in day-to-day activities and what you achieve in life. Make time for yourself, de-stress, let go of drama, stop worrying about what other people think of you, stop being un-organised and binging on unhealthy food, stop living in a messy cluttered home, stop wasting time.
START setting goals, having ‘me’ time, working on personal development, working a job you enjoy, learning new things, making time to cook healthy meals, exercising regularly, exploring the outdoors and nature, sleeping well, and thinking positive. You WILL see the results.
I hope you found this post helpful and informative. If you would like to read more tips, feel free to check out my e-book ‘63 Ways To Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle Long-Term‘. I have copied these tips directly from my book, which makes it easy for you to know what to expect from it. Now available for just $12.99!